effective therapies for treating bruxism and TMD issues
When the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is compromised in any way, you may experience pain, discomfort and tenderness around the jaw.
Whether you have a pre-existing bite problem, suffer from bruxism or have some form of arthritis, you may develop TMJ. Our doctor offers several proven treatment options for TMJ in Hollywood, CA. Let us help you get some relief from jaw pain and the effects of TMJ with a custom treatment plan.
other tmj treatment options
Patients suffering from TMJ in Hollywood, CA, may consider some of these effective treatment options:
- Jaw stretching and relaxation exercises
- Anti-inflammatory pain medication to relieve pain and discomfort
- Anti-anxiety medication to relieve stress
- Cortisone shots
- Dental work to restore proper bite function
- Trigger-point injections to provide relief from tenderness
- Jaw replacement surgery
- Pain in or around the ear
- Headaches and neck aches
- Tenderness of the jaw or jaw muscles
- Jaw pain or soreness that is more prevalent in the morning or late afternoon
- Jaw pain when chewing, biting or yawning
- Difficulty opening and closing the mouth
- Clicking or popping noises when opening the mouth
- Sensitive teeth when no other dental problems can be found
life is better with teeth
Learn more about treatment for bruxism and TMJ by scheduling your appointment at Birdseye Dentistry today!Contact Us
how bruxism affects your jaw
If you have a bad habit of grinding your teeth or clenching your teeth while sleeping, you may develop jaw problems because of a misaligned bite. Putting excess pressure on certain areas of the mouth can wear down certain teeth and knock the bite out of alignment. Patients with bruxism who work with our doctor learn how to break the teeth grinding habit. Some may be fitted with a night guard or splint to limit the damaging effects of teeth grinding.
muscle therapy for tmj
Since our doctor takes a wholistic approach to all procedures and services, you may receive muscle therapy as part of your treatment plan. Relieving tension in the jaw muscles with jaw relaxation exercises can be a very effective way to treat TMJ in Hollywood, CA. Our doctor may recommend doing a series of jaw relaxation exercises throughout the week to relieve some of the aches and pain associated with TMJ.